101 Feline Home Hazards

100 hazards for catsWe appreciate the care and concern you have for the health and safety of your pet. We love pets just as much as you do, which is why we have made this information page available to you.

Please keep in mind that this page is not an all-inclusive list of things that could harm your pet, it is simply a list of common hazards that we feel are important for you to be aware of. It is designed to help prevent accidents, not treat them. If your pet has an accident or becomes ill, we strongly urge you to contact us immediately.

Keep Your Cats Safe From…

Indoor HazardsHazardous PlantsHarmful FoodsDangerous ObjectsTrouble AreasOutdoor HazardsHolidays

The following household items have the potential to cause serious illness, or even death. Depending on the amount ingested by your pet. Store these items in a safe location, out of your pet’s reach.

  1. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication
    (ibuprofen, aspirin, etc.)
  2. Acetaminophen
  3. Cold and Flu medications
  4. Antidepressants
  5. Vitamins
  6. Home insect products
  7. Rat and mouse bait
  8. Bleach
  9. Diet pills
  10. Disinfectants
  11. Fabric Softener
  12. Lead
  13. Lighter fluid
  14. Mothballs
  15. Anti-cancer drugs
  16. Solvents
    (paint thinners, etc.)
  17. Flea and tick products
  18. Drain cleaners
  19. Liquid potpourri
  20. Slug and Snail bait
  21. Oven cleaner sprays
  22. Lime/scale remover
  23. Fly bait
  24. Detergents
  25. Tobacco products

26. Plants

  • Aloe
  • Amaryllis
  • Andromeda Japonica
  • Asian Lily
  • Asparagus fern
  • Australian Nut
  • Autumn Crocus
  • Azalea
  • Belladonna
  • Bird of Paradise
  • Bittersweet
    (American & European)
  • Black Locust
  • Branching ivy
  • Buckeye
  • Buddhist Pine
  • Caladium
  • Calla lily
  • Castor Bean
  • Ceriman
  • Clematis
  • Cordatum
  • Corn plants
  • Cycads
  • Cyclamen
  • Daffodil
  • Daylily
  • Devil’s Ivy
  • Dieffenbachia
  • Dumbcane
  • Easter lily
  • Elephant ears
  • Emerald fern
  • English Ivy
  • Eucalyptus
  • Ferns
  • Fiddle-leaf-philodendron
  • Florida Beauty
  • Foxglove
  • Glacier Ivy
  • Gladiolas
  • Gold dust dracaena
  • Golden Pothos
  • Heavenly bamboo
  • Honeysuckle
  • Hurricane Plant
  • Hyacinth
  • Hydrangea
  • Iris
  • Jerusalem Cherry
  • Jimson Weed
  • Kalanchoe
  • Lantana
  • Lilies
  • Lily of the Valley
  • Lupine
  • Marble Queen
  • Morning Glory
  • Mother-in-Law
  • Mountain Laurel
  • Narcissus
  • Needlepoint Ivy
  • Nephthysis
  • Nightshade
  • Oleander
  • Panda
  • Peace Lily
  • Philodendron
  • Poison Hemlock
  • Precator bean (Rosary Pea)
  • Privet
  • Red Emerald
  • Rhododendron
  • Ribbon plant
  • Sago Palm
  • Satin Pothos
  • Schefflera
  • Striped Dracaena
  • Sweetheart Ivy
  • Tulip
  • Water Hemlock
  • Wisteria
  • Yew
  • Yucca
  1. Xylitol
    (gum, candies or other foods sweetened with)
  2. Onion and onion powder
  3. Moldy / spoiled food
  4. Alcoholic beverages
  5. Raw Yeast Dough
  6. Macadamia nuts
  7. Tea Leaves
  8. Fatty food
  9. Avocados
  10. Chocolate
  11. Grapes
  12. Raisins
  13. Garlic
  14. Grass
  15. Salt

Below is list of common household objects that can cause puncture wounds,choking or internal organ damage to your pet. Never leave these objects lying around.

  1. Balls
    (especially balls that are small or have a smooth outer coating)
  2. Batteries
  3. Bread twist ties
  4. Buttons
  5. Coins
  6. Cotton swabs
  7. Glass
  8. Hair pins
  9. Jewelry
  10. Nylons
  11. Paper clips
  12. Plastic wrap
  13. Socks
  14. Rubber bands
  15. Sharp objects
    (knives, razors, scissors, nails, needles, etc.)
  16. String / yarn / dental floss
  17. Towels
  18. Wax

Here are some areas in your home that can cause or lead to serious problems for your pet

  1. Balconies:
    Tall balconies without safety
    railing may lead to a dangerous fall.
  2. Bath tubs or sinks:
    When filled with water,
    a bath tub or a sink can cause a small pet to drown.
  3. Doors and windows:
    Open doors and windows
    commonly lead to pets running across busy roads.
  4. Electrical Cords:
    Can cause electrocution
    if plugged into an outlet.
  5. Fireplace:
    Flames can result in serious burns
    to your pet and ashes can cause illness if ingested
  6. Toilets:
    Toilet water is not healthy for
    pets to drink, always remember to close the lid.
  7. Washer and Dryer:
    Your pet can easily crawl into a washer or dryer without you knowing,so be sure to close the door to these appliances when you are not using them.

Below is a list of items found outside of your home that could injure your pet

  1. Algae:
    Can be found in ponds or other bodies of water, certain forms can be toxic.
  2. Antifreeze/Coolant:
    Some types of antifreeze or coolant products contain ethylene glycol, which is highly toxic to pets, even in small amounts.
  3. Fire pit/Grill:
    Flames can result in serious burns
    and ashes can cause illness if ingested.
  4. Fences or gates:
    Openings in damaged fences
    or gates can be used by your pet to run away or could lead to strangulation if they become stuck.
  5. Deck Lattice:
    You pet could become stuck in the openings under your deck and possibly strangle.
  6. De-icing salts:
    Some formulations may contain chemicals that are hazardous to pets if ingested in large amounts. Look for “pet-friendly” de-icing salts.
  7. Compost (particularly if moldy)
  8. Swimming pools and hot tubs –
    Never leave
    your pet unattended near uncovered pools, even if they can swim.
  9. Cocoa bean shell mulch fertilizer
  10. Pesticides
  11. Gasoline
  12. Oil

Listed below are popular items and products used during Christmas, New Years, Easter, Valentine’s Day, 4th of July, Halloween and Thanksgiving that can harm your cat.

Christmas

  1. Holiday Plants: The following holiday plants are toxic to cats and dogs:Christmas rose, Holly, Lilies and Mistletoe.
  2. Ribbons: Sure it may look adorable, but placing a ribbon around your pet`s neck may cause them to choke.
  3. Bubbling lights: Older forms of this attractive decoration may contain methylene chloride, which is a highly toxic chemical.
  4. Fire salts: Contain Chemicals that could be harmful to pets.
  5. Angel Hair (spun glass): Can be irritating to eyes and skin, and could cause intestinal obstruction if eaten in large amount.
  6. Christmas tree water:stagnant tree water or water containing preservatives could result in stomach upset if ingested.
  7. Decoration hooks: Can cause blockage and / or trauma to gastrointestinal tract of swallowed.
  8. Styrofoam: Can cause your pet to chocke if swallowed.
  9. Ornaments: These can look like toys to your pet, so keep them out of your pet`s reach so they don’t pose a risk for injury.
  10. Tinsel:Can cause choking or internal trauma if swallowed.

New Year’s

  1. Balloons and Confetti: These are among the
    common items used to decorate a New Year’s party venue, but can pose an obstruction or choking hazard to your pet if ingested. Be sure to keep an eye on them when they are around these items or place them in an area that does not have decorations.
  2. Loud Noises: New Year’s is typically a noisy holiday. Unfortunately, loud noises frighten pets and can cause them to run off. Keep your pet in a separate room, away from noisemakers, music, and other loud sounds that may startle them.
  3. Alcohol:Alcoholic beverages are toxic to pets and should NEVER be given to your pet.

Easter

  1. Fake Grass: This color “grass” may look appetizing to your pet, but actually
    poses a choking and intestinal obstruction hazard if ingested.
  2. Small toys and other plastic items: If swallowed, small toys and plastic Easter eggs can cause your pet to choke or even damage their intestinal tract.

4th of July

  1. Fireworks: Fireworks not only scare pets and cause them to run off, but they can also cause serious injuries if detonated near your pet. Many formulations can be potentially toxic to pets if ingested as well.

Valentine’s Day

  1. Flowers: Many types of flowers and plants that are found in bouquets are harmful to pets. Be sure to check our list of hazardous plants page

Halloween

  1. Pranks:Some pets, specifically black cats, have become victims of torture and abuse during Halloween, so be sure to keep your pet indoors.
  2. Candles:Pets are naturally curious, and may be attracted to the bright lights of the flame in dark areas. Dogs and cats could either burn themselves by the flame or knock the candle over, starting a fire.
  3. Xylitol:Candy or gum sweetened with xylitol is toxic and should be kept away from your pet.
  4. Chocolate:All forms of chocolate can be harmful to your pet, potentially resulting in poisoning or even pancreatic inflammation from the high fat content.

Thanksgiving

  1. Bones:Turkey, chicken, and other small animal bones are very different from the large bones you find at the pet store. These small bones splinter easily and can cause serious internal damage if swallowed, so NEVER give them to your pet.
  2. Hot Containers:Your pet will mostly likely become curious when they smell something cooking. Keep an eye on hot containers so that your pet does not tip them over, causing severe burns.